Friday, July 11, 2008

Question of the Day: Baby Names

The Lord blessed me with one son (that I know of). It's always fun to add the "that I know of" and watch a person's facial expression. Even before conception, I had a girl's name picked out: Dorian Rose Louise. Dorian being my mother's first name, Rose being my former husband's mother's first name, and Louise being my middle name. Yet I hoped and prayed I would give birth to a son.

I know one shouldn't make special requests, but I am a weenie and knew that a boy would be easier. Especially if I had a daughter who was anything like me. Snakes and spiders and lizards and frogs are no big deal. But the thought of hormonal battles with another female scared the you know what out of me. I also prayed my child would inherit my nose and not his/her father's nose. Simply because his/her life would be easier that way.

We could not agree on a boy's name until well into the pregnancy. I had two ultrasounds, one at the usual time and one about an hour before an emergency C-Section. Both times my little guy was shy and wasn't going to reveal anything to the camera. So we did it the old fashioned way, back before ultrasounds and amnio. We were surprised by Jacob Thomas Heisner Salisbury. The Jacob and the Thomas being chosen by my mother, and Heisner being my maiden name. My father was quick to point out his grandson's initials JTHS were the same as his high school, Joliet Township High School. Is this post boring yet, or what?

I still believe Dorian Rose is a beautiful name. Did you have a baby name you didn't get to use?

1 comment:

mysteryhistorymom said...

Thinking up baby names is so much fun! I'm sure I could think of a bunch... I know I love name Olivia Tess... Not enough of a reason to have another child, but it does make you think.:-) Lori