Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Good Day

If you read my blog on an even semi-regular basis, you know I have pain every day. I should be used to it by now. It isn't unbearable pain - it's just there in the background and I have to be careful how I use the upper left side of my body. There are just a handful of days each month when the pain is amped up a few levels and it feels like I have someone standing on my shoulder. When I awoke this morning, I knew it was one of "those" days.

As I walked past the living room window I saw my husband working in the dirt beneath the window. He had created for me my own miniature Eden. A fountain, solar hanging lights, a fairy with LCD butterflies in a gazing ball, rows of marigolds and petunias and pansies. All enclosed behind a little fence to keep those of the canine persuasion out. Mother's Day came early he said.

All of a sudden, the pain disappeared. As if buried deep within this incredibly sweet gesture from this wonderful man. A man who has to wear a lot of hats around here. He cooks and cleans, does laundry and drives the Teenage Taxi, works a part time job and works for me (not always the most congenial of employers). He even knows how to sew (a skill he learned in the Coast Guard).

I kind of stumbled through my day, with him handling the major things. At 3:00 I needed to have some Swarovski crystals and since the mailman didn't bring them and the order has to ship tomorrow, my only option was to drive to the other side of town to the Michael's store. Problem was, driving in my condition would not be safe, for me or anyone else on the road. Now I could have asked my husband, but he had done so much for me today and still had to drive the taxi to youth group at 6:30.

Enter my dear friend Kay. I called and told her I'd spring for dinner if she could do the driving. She would have done the driving without the dinner - she's nice like that. But I insisted, and I had a coupon! We had a nice meal of teriyaki chicken, rice and veggies. We went to Safeway to look for Bertolli pasta sauce, and then to Michael's where the crystals were located. Then it was almost time to pick up the kidlet from youth group. I asked Kay - because I'm blunt like that, to drive us to the church. That meant hubby didn't have to leave the house and could watch his favorite show "Lost," or is it "The Lost?"

Once again the pain was there, but it was overshadowed by the blessing of having such a good friend who is so willing to help. My cup is much MORE than half full!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Kim, I'm so sorry yesterday was a bad pain day for you, but I'm so grateful that you have sweet friends and a dear hubby that care so much. Makes me smile...

Sue said...

What an encouraging post, Kim!

Thank God for wonderful husbands. Hey, I just found a really cool site from a church where you can listen to or download sermons. There are a couple really good ones on marriage...and sex. (In that order! LOL)
Anyway, it made me appreciate my DH even more. If you want to check it out, here it is:

http://www.elevationchurch.org/mediaPlayer.php

When you get to this page, go to "Visionary Love, Dream Sex" in the 2008 section. The pastor is young, but I am telling you, he knows whereof he speaks! For some reason, I just thought you might want to listen...

And I do know about "those days" and pain. Mine are migraines. Some days are NOTHING but a complete wash...

God Bless, Kim! Let me know,oce if you decide to listen to those sermons, what you think...

Kay-The Rustic Cottage said...

I'm sorry that you had pain but I'm so glad that we got to have our time together! Dinner was great - thank you so much! Yes, I would have driven even without dinner. Let's do it again soon.