Sunday, June 21, 2009

What's Our Hurry?

I was standing in line behind an elderly woman at Walgreens today. She paid in cash and received her change (bills and coins). She slowly and deliberately put each in the appropriate spot in her wallet before taking her purchase and walking away from the check-out counter.

My initial response to her almost slow-motion movements was to be annoyed. But I quickly changed gears and thought - what's my hurry? What's your hurry? What's our hurry? If we have our faith placed firmly in God, we know at any given moment, we are exactly where we are supposed to be. Each delay or perceived obstacle in our path is there for a reason. When I hit every single red light enroute from Place A to Place B, there's a reason for that. Life and death are so often separated by mere seconds or inches or feet. That fact has been proven to me several times in my life.

And....have you noticed that little kids and old people don't hurry to finish something quickly so they can get out of someone else's way? Watch a child paying for something in a store. See how deliberate they are with the entire process. They are oblivious to those around them. Same thing is true for old folks, like the woman today. She didn't notice there were three people in line behind her. The rest of us are running ourselves ragged, trying to get a zillion things done. Is it any wonder we lose our keys, drop money on the ground, leave things behind? We're in too much of a hurry to do things one step at a time.

Take a few deep breaths through your nose ~ relax ~ slow down.....what's your hurry?

2 comments:

Sue said...

I am going to remember this post the next time I find myself harried over something!

So true, so true...

Anonymous said...

This touched my heart!